Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Modesty-What it means to me

I have started this journey on modesty beginning with my head-cover. But in doing so, I have wondered what did Paul mean when he said that women should not adorn themselves with jewels or braided hair?
Are Christian women to look plain and not enhance our outer beauty? What if our husband prefers it or even likes it when we wear makeup or jewelry?


First Timothy 2:9-10 tells us, “I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.”

Does that mean we are to wear potato sacks and never wear anything of beauty and no make up? (Oh boy am I in trouble! I love my perfectly filled in eyebrows and wild makeup styles!)

I don't believe that is what he was talking about. I believe he was talking about reminding ourselves the REASONS we do these things. Do we do them to entice men (not our husband of course..we want to entice him!) or draw too much attention to ourselves?Do we have low self esteem and so we dress up to make ourselves feel better (not entirely bad, but if your image is all you have..welllll)

Peter reminds us (1 Peter 3:3-5) that our INNER beauty should be at the forefront.

Today, I am making a promise to myself to nurture and pamper that inner me :)


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...