Saturday, March 17, 2012

Happy St. Patrick's day!

I always think of St. Patrick's day as the day when everyone is a "wee bit Irish". In my family, growing up, we got pinched if we didn't wear green today!

I confess, though, today I will not be wearing green. I have been ill as of late and will probably not be going anywhere today and my husband has promised not to pinch me :)

I remember my Mom making corned beef and cabbage and my brother and I not eating the cabbage, but rather opting for some coleslaw instead. I still eat coleslaw today!

My family has a rich Irish heritage. My middle name is even the name of a river in Ireland: The Shannon River. My daughter, who is 9 now, loves to make and devise a new way to make a "leprechaun trap" every year. She is determined!

My favorite part of St. Patrick's day is the day after though. I always get creative with the leftover corned beef. Of course I make the traditional corned beef hash for breakfast, but I also make new favorites, like corned beef tacos.

I thought I would share with you:

Corned Beef Tacos

*Leftover Corned beef, shredded (however much would feed your family)
*Taco seasoning
*Flour or corn Tortillas
*Cabbage (uncooked)
*Various taco toppings-we like tomatoes, sour cream and shredded cheese

All you do is re-heat the shredded corned beef in a tiny bit of oil in a pan, season, and make like regular tacos! The cabbage adds a nice change in texture and taste and is a great change to the traditional lettuce. It's also usually on sale this time of year too!

I hope you have a wonderful St. Patrick's Day! What are some of your family's St. Patrick's day traditions?



Photobucket



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...