I want to make sure you have a safe Independence Day and I have included some tips!
- When outside for long periods of time, make sure to apply sunscreen, even if it looks a bit cloudy or overcast. You skin will thank you!
- Stay hydrated! You don't want to end up with heat exhaustion on such a fun day. One way to make sure is to stay away from too much alcohol and soda. These are not hydrating and will actually dehydrate you. Stick with water or add a lemon or a splash of juice to your water to mix it up a bit. A good rule is to drink 8-9 cups of water/fluids if you will be out all day. You should rarely feel thirsty.
- Be safe with fireworks! Follow all instructions and make sure to light them away from trees, buildings and dry areas. Light quickly and walk away. If one is a 'dud', leave it alone. Do not attempt to light a shortened fuse. Never light them in your hand.
- Be careful with food at cookouts. Food safety still applies at the BBQ. Keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold and use clean utensils and cutting boards.
- Be water smart. Never leave children unattended near water for even a moment. Do not rely on older children to watch the young ones.
With just a few precautions in place, your family can have a great holiday and avoid incidents that can be easily prevented.
Happy 4th of July!
picture via flickr by bayasaa