Friday, April 13, 2012

Gettin' my booty in gear

I started a program called "couch 2 5k" after being introduced to it by a friend from my church.

The idea behind the program is it will take you from a couch potato to a jogger in about 10 weeks, starting slow and working up your stamina. It's normally a program that coaches you along the way via an app on a smartphone or a download for an ipod. Since my Ipod is older than dirt and I do not have a smartphone, I am doing it the more complicated way, (I am using a stop watch and get no guidance as I go.)

Now, I don't know if I will be a champion jogger by the end of this, but after week one, I have to admit, I am intrigued and proud of myself. I am the type, when it comes to exercise, to do more talking about wanting to start a program than actually doing it. Can I just say I made a small victory this week? I finished week one. I finished it even though it hurt, it was hard and I didn't always feel like it. That's a victory for me. Trust me.

Now, for some about 35 minuets of exercise is NOTHING, for me, its a lot. I am very out of shape. I am overweight and I am not used to this.

I decided to try this because I have a great support system and I have gotten a few health scares in the last year or so that have really made me question my lifestyle. I am only 30 and I have type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol and sleep issues that are kind of like sleep apnea.I need to do something about what I am doing in my life. Clearly, what I have been doing is not correct and I can no longer get away with eating like a teenager.

So, I will keep my readers updated, and please cheer me on in this journey. I could really use it!

OVER THE TOP
photo by Whologwhy via Flickr "creative commons"

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea!
    Daisy @ http://trendymomreviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...